If is a good idea to know the basics about cars before you get behind the wheel or get your Ps, this way if your car breaks down you are equipped to make minor repairs before you have to call for roadside assistance. The RACQ Learn2go website has a list of the basics you need to know
Here are some basic safety checks that everyone can do.
- Check that all exterior lights are working. This can easily be done when parking in the garage at night by checking the reflection against the walls.
- Check that glass surfaces are clean and free from chips, cracks and scratches.
- Check that the windscreen wipers and washers operate efficiently.
- Check the wiper rubbers are secure and in good condition.
- Test the handbrake to ensure it ‘holds’ the car on steep hills.
- Check the condition of the seat belts for wear, and ensure the seat belt locks when you pull hard on it.
- Check tyre pressure and tyre condition including tread depth, which should always be at least 1.5mm across the entire tread width.
- Under bonnet checks should include oil and fluid levels. Including battery water level, windscreen washer fluid, engine coolant, power steering fluid and brake and clutch fluid.
Car Care Course
If you would like to learn how to best look after your car and are unsure how to change a flat tyre, check the oil, look after your battery or other general maintenance requirements the RACQ have a Car Care Course to put you back in control.
A one-day course is held on selected Saturdays in Brisbane.
Phone: (07) 3666 9760
Fax: (07) 3890 8806